Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary science utilizing computer science, information technology, biology, mathematics, statistics and biochemistry to study the biological macromolecules like DNA and Proteins for the betterment of Human health & medicine. In recent years due to the advancement of computing and information technology, whole-genome sequencing, development of protein expression techniques, and 3D structure prediction techniques, biological science is generating, a huge amount of biological macromolecule data. The analysis and management of this huge Big Biological Data to provide answers to complex problems is performed by tools and techniques of Bioinformatics.
The core Bioinformatics industry falls into two categories namely Tools/Software Developing companies and Data Analysis Service providers. As per a recent study (marketsandmarkets.com) the international market of bioinformatics will attain a rise of sparkling growth of 14.5% in just next to two years. This growth will give rise to the demand for professionals with big biological data analysts and tools developers not only in National labs and industries but in International companies and University labs.
Scope of the program
The PG program is designed to equip next-generation professionals with fast-evolving and upcoming skills in the field of Bioinformatics. Apart from the core Bioinformatics Industry, the bioinformatics specialist will be required by Pharma, Biotech, HealthCare, Diagnostics Labs, Academics and IPR companies. These industries require professionals in several job profiles like Program Developer, Data Analyst, Trainee Research Associate, Research Associate, Research Scientist, Managers, and Business Development Executive etc. Students graduating with PGDBI will be able to successfully seize these roles because of their competitive and advanced skills learned in the program.
INR 12500 per Semester
GTU-Campus, Chandkheda, Ahmedabad
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- The students will be able to design, device methodology, perform analysis and interpret biological and health science research data and publish the findings.
- Ability to use techniques, skills, current Bioinformatics, Statistical and IT (AI & ML) resources/tools for analyzing Big Biological (Macro molecular) Data.
- Ability of problem identification and problem solving pertaining to technological advancement of environment, health, biotech, pharma, and agriculture domains.
- Adaptive thinking and adaptability in relation to industry context and sustainable product development.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Satisfy the need of the industry for manpower specialized in Bioinformatics & Computational Biology skill set.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Acquire students with skills in Bioinformatics and provide solutions through industry-academia-research interface.
- Empower the students to be effective entrepreneurs and excellent problem solvers to invent unique tools for industrial need with proper ethical statutes.
- Ability to independently carry out analytical and development work to solve practical problems in the domain of bioinformatics.
- Ability to apply knowledge of biological, mathematical, statistical and Information technology sciences to provide solutions to issues pertaining to Biological Science domains (biotechnology, pharma, health, agriculture and environment).
- Ability to acquaint with the latest development in different fields of bioinformatics (Computer added drug design, algorithm building, IT tool development etc) to enable them to take up higher studies, research & developmental and industrial job roles.